Tuesday, January 08, 2008

On why I love the night

You might notice that this post is coming awfully late. Sometimes I lie awake in bed at night wondering why I waste so much time sleeping. Why, any of us waste so much sleeping actually. Sure it's good to let our mind, and body rest but what about all that we are missing in the process. I used to think that night had not much to offer to me. The day is so bright and full of people and possibilites. But eventually I came to appreciate the quietness of the night. It's the one time of day when I'm not trying to make up, or suck up, or catch up. It's the one time of day when I can step outside and really hear the silence. I used to fear that silence as I think most do. When you're alone all you worry about is not having someone to be there with you at night. That used to be my biggest fear, growing up and having no one to spend my nights with. Now I think I've come to terms with the fact that if this is what happens, I might just be alright with it. The night doesn't judge me like the harsh light of the day. No one is awake to see your flaws in the dark of night, are they? And if they are, they surely aren't near enough to see mine. I'm just fine with the night, I'm fine with the way the leaves rustle so loudly in the wind with no one to hear them. I'm fine with the way the clouds drift slowly over the moon. And mostly, I'm fine with the moon. Letting me know that even in the blackest time of the night there is still someone out there shining on me. Letting me see clearly through the dark haze. And tonight the moon was brighter than I've ever seen it.

No comments: