Friday, March 11, 2011

40 Days of 4 Things, Day 2

This week things on TV have pissed me off

Let me preface this by saying that I usually don't watch a lot of television.  It's not that I think I'm too good for programming tailor made for the masses or anything, I just usually don't have time to devote to it.  In the past couple of  weeks all of that has changed and I find myself unable to pull myself away from it.  I still hate commercials apparently.  

Mostly in specific I hate this commercial for Hot Pockets smaller counterpart Side Shots.  First of all, I find it highly offensive when foodstuff is humanized.  As if I believe that these lumps of dough filled with undercooked meats and sauces can have human emotions.  Also, when you give a frozen delicacy a face, it makes me think of cannibalism, and I just can't condone that kind of behavior.



Also because it reminds me of Meat Cat who is way more awesome:


Has anyone else seen the trailer for "Hop" starring James Marsden and apparently the Easter Bunny?  First of all, no.  Absolutely not, this should not be happening.  First of all I believe I made it mandatory for all Holiday movies to stop after the "Santa Clause 2" premiered.  Second of all, do we really need an Easter movie other than "The Ten Commandments", even I'll admit I've never actually seen that one, but it seems to be very popular.  I do not need a cutesy animated movie where the protagonist has jelly beans for excrement.  I just don't.



Today I was supposed to meet a Buddhist monk

Today in my Intercultural Media class we were supposed to have a guest lecture by a Buddhist monk, and I was super excited about going.  I really was, and I almost never get excited about meeting spiritual leaders, or going to class period.  Sadly this morning I woke up feeling the worst I have in almost forever.  In fact, I'm still pretty certain that I am dying, or at least very close to dying.  So, I did not go to class, but instead because I make bad decisions I went out for sushi with some friends (to be fair the lecture was optional).  The sushi was amazing, but sadly did not help my illness.  I should have gone to class, I might have learned something.  I wanted to learn something.  On my quest for spiritual enlightenment (which is a quest I've just decided I've embarked on), it may have been helpful.  I know that Bhuddism is all about being present in your every day life, and living for the exact moment that you are breathing through right now.  That's a lesson I could stand to learn.

Today I missed my friend

My friend lives too far away.  There is not a day when I do not wish he still lived across the street so that I could go outside and talk mindlessly for hours with him.  That will more than likely never happen again, but it's comforting to think about.  It is hard to stay connected with someone when there's so much distance.  Life gets in the way, time gets in the way, priorities get in the way.  I don't always get to call, I don't always get to fly to Cleveland to see him.  Today our friendship felt a  lot closer to home because he found an interesting way for us to be able to feel like no space separates us.  I won't give too much away, but thank you Bryant for making my day a little more awesome.  You are better than a monk.

Today I did not do what I intended

Things I intended on doing, but for some reason or other did not
1.  Did not meet Bhuddist monk

2.  Did not start reading "As I lay dying" by Ernest Hemingway

3. Did not go to work

4. Did not go to the gym

Things I did instead:
1. Bought twenty dollars worth of raffle tickets

2. Bought fifteen dollars worth of fruit, including kiwis which I don't even like

3. Spent two hours mentally listing my favorite female celebrities in levels of attractiveness

4.  Illegally downloaded a seven hundred dollar program (InDesign) for school

I am not proud of myself.

2 comments:

Luci said...

As I Lay Dying by Hemingway?

Gah.
haha. You've got a lot to catch up on ;)

And the Buddhist monk would've been pretty badass to see, but friends can be more uplifting than random Asian men.

Jordan said...

Shit. I always get Hemingway and Faulkner mixed up.